The Ritual of Druid Initiation

 On August 12th 2026, the day of the new moon and an almost total eclipse of the sun around 7pm in the UK, I decided to perform my Initiation into the Druid of The Birch Grove. This is the first FREE course in Druidry offered by the Isle of Wight Druid Order.

As stated in my last post, I drove to the physical setting of my Axis Mundi in a small South Oxfordshire village. The temperature was 34C (the UK has been experiencing unusual heatwaves this summer) so the first thing I did was immerse myself in the waterfall that cascades into the village millpond. There was nobody about so I indulged myself in naked wildness - the water crashed into my body and cleansed my soul, preparing me for the Initiation.

Next, I walked to the ancient Yew (approx 1600 years old) in the village graveyard. The invading christians build a church on this sacred spot about a thousand years ago and at least three of my ancestors are buried there.

Unusually, there were some people visiting the graveyard, so I sat beneath the spreading branches of the Yew and waited for them to leave. 

I sat and softly drummed for a while, allowing the spirit of the place to seep into me before arranging my little altar with a candle, a small bowl of water, a small dish of salt and a large feather (a gift from a friendly Red Kite).

 

The Initiation 

"By Star and Stone, By the Power of the Land within and without, By all that is Fair and Free...

I am Druid

I believe in and celebrate the spirituality of all life

I am one with the community of the natural world

And the ever flowing tide of the seasons

Honouring all, past, present and future

My Life is a Journey

Seeking spiritual awakening, inspiration and wisdom through the Awen.

I am Druid "

"May there be peace in this place and throughout the whole world.

There is no honour in conflict.

I choose peace, I choose love, I choose Life.

May I always stand for peace, may I always act for peace.

Let me ever be a channel for peace. Peace in my heart. peace in my life. Peace in the world."

The Druid Prayer For Peace 

 "Deep within the still centre of my being, may I find peace.

Silently within the quiet of the grove, may I share peace.

Gently within the greater circle of humankind, may I radiate peace."

The Druid Vow

"I swear by peace and love to stand, heart to heart and hand in hand

Mark, O Spirit and hear me now, confirming this, my sacred vow.

The Welcoming - Calling the Quarters

EAST : "With the blessing of the Hawk of dawn, soaring in the clear pure air, I call upon the Spirits of the East and of Air. Hail and Welcome!"

SOUTH : "With the blessings of the great Stag in the heat of the chase and the inner fire of the Sun, I call upon the Spirits of the South and of Fire.  Hail and Welcome!"

WEST : "With the blessings of the Salmon of Wisdom who dwells within the sacred waters of the pool, I call upon the Spirits of the West and of Water.  Hail and Welcome!"

NORTH : "With the blessing of the Great Bear of the starry heavens and the deep and fruitful Earth, I call upon the Spirits of the North and of Earth.  Hail and Welcome!"

"Earth Mother, Lady of Fertility, who gives life and shelter to all, whose gentle embrace enfolds the world bringing fruitfulness to the land, I honour and bless You for your love and your bounty and ask You to bless my Ritual of Initiation."

"Sky Father, I honour You and bless You. Let me see and feel your presence in this place and the energy and fecundity that You bring to all life. I ask You to bless my Ritual of Initiation."

"Gentle Spirits of this place, Spirits of the Quarters and the Elements, I honour You and bless You and ask You to bless my Ritual of Initiation."

"Revered Ancestors, I ask you to join with me today and share with me the joy and happiness of this initiation. Come join me and stand with me; allow me to feel your presence. I, your kin of blood and family, of clan and line, am honoured to be here with you. I ask you to bless my Ritual of Initiation.

The Ritual Of Druid Initiation 

"In this space and in the presence of all assembled here, I bring myself to be dedicated to the service of the Earth Mother and the Sky Father"

I face the East and take the feather, passing it 3 times before me.

"By the power of Air, may I be purified. May I dedicate my life to purity of thought, that all to which I set my purpose may harm none and be for the good of all."

I face South and light the candle. I pass the candle 3 times before me.

"By the power of fire, may I be purified. May I dedicate my life to purity of desire, that all goals which I seek to achieve may harm none and be for the good of all."

I face the West and take a drop of water 3 times from the bowl and sprinkle it before me.

"By the power of water, may I be purified. May I dedicate my life to purity of emotion, that all to which I set my purpose may be in the spirit of harmony with all life and with all things, harming none and for the good of all."

I face the North and sprinkle a small amount of salt before me.

"By the power of Earth, may I be purified. May I dedicate my life to steadfastness and purity of purpose, that my will be achieved without wavering, with harm to none and for the good of all."

"Earth Mother, bless me. I dedicate myself to thy service and the service of all life and all things. May I cause no harm but rather be an instrument of goodwill and understanding ; of loving harmony. To your sacred Self I dedicate my life and may I long be of service to You."

"Sky Father, bless me and watch over me. Guard me and all my works that they ever be in the service of You and the Earth Mother, that they be of service to all life and all things, and that they abide by the laws of harmony.  SO MAY IT BE,"

Closing Prayers 

"Earth Mother, blessed source of all life, who is the boundless sea, the clear air and the fruitful Earth, Your presence is everywhere.

Creator, Preserver and Eternal Rennewer, from whom I was born and to whom I shall return, may I live my life in reverence and in gratitude to You.

May I harm not the delicate web of existence, but help to heal and strengthen it.

You who feed and nourish me, showering me with your abundant gifts, I honour and praise You now, and vow to walk according to Your ways, for all the days of my life.

In Love and Peace. SO MAY IT BE. "

"May the light of love and devotion shine brightly in my heart.

May the light of understanding shine clearly in my mind.

May the light of harmony be forever in my home.

May the light of peace shine forth from my being.

May the light of my presence bring love and peace to all wherever I may go.

SO MAY IT BE. "

"This Ritual ends in peace as in peace it began. May the joys of this Ritual and the blessings I have received go with me as I depart this place, to nourish, strengthen and sustain me until I meet with you all again."

I then close the Quarters in the reverse order (from the opening)

"May the blessings of the Earth Mother and the Sky Father be with me always. I declare this rite and ceremony of initiation closed in the apparent world. May its inspiration live on within my being.

SO MAY IT BE. "

PS - With many thanks and many blessings to Malcolm Brown and the Isle of Wight Order of Druids 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Opinions and Warnings

Astral Bodies and the OBE

How To Learn Shamanism